VIDEO: RANGER XP 900 Oil Change
The oil change kit for a RANGER XP 900 is part number 2879323. The oil filter is part number 2540086. When changing the oil on your vehicle, always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves. Always check and change the oil at the intervals outlined in the Periodic Maintenance Chart in your Owner's Manual. The engine drain plug (2) is located on the bottom of the crankcase. To change the oil and filter (1), do the following:
1. Position the vehicle on a level surface. Place the transmission in PARK. Apply the brakes.
2. Start the engine. Allow it to idle for 2 to 3 minutes. Stop the engine.
3. Clean the area around the drain plug. The sealing surfaces on the drain plug and crankcase should be clean and free of burrs, nicks or scratches.
4. Place a drain pan beneath the engine crankcase and remove the drain plug with the 6mm Allen socket.
5. Allow the oil to drain completely.
6. Reinstall the sealing washer on the drain plug.
7. Reinstall the drain plug with a 6mm Allen socket. Torque to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
8. Remove the heat shield with the T40 TORX® socket.
9. Using a cap-style oil filter wrench, turn the filter counter-clockwise to remove it.
10. Using a clean dry cloth, clean the filter sealing surface on the crankcase. Make sure the old filter O-ring is completely removed.
11. Lubricate the O-ring on the new filter with a film of fresh engine oil. Check to make sure the O-ring is in good condition.
12. Install the new filter and rotate it clockwise by hand until the filter gasket contacts the sealing surface and then turn it an additional 3/4 of a turn.
13. Reinstall the heat shield using the T40 TORX® socket.
14. Always clean away all dirt and debris from the dipstick area before removing the dipstick. Remove the dipstick (or the oil fill cap on the top of the engine) and fill the sump with 2 quarts (1.9 l) of recommended oil.
15. Reinstall and lock the dipstick (or close the fill cap, if applicable). The oil dipstick is located on the engine, as shoown below. Access the dipstick through the right rear wheel well.
16. Make sure the transmission is in PARK. Apply the brakes.
17. Start the engine. Allow it to idle for 1 to 2 minutes.
18. Stop the engine. Inspect for leaks.
19. Re-check the oil level on the dipstick and add oil as necessary to bring the level to the upper mark on the dipstick.
20. Dispose of used filter and oil properly.
Programmable Service Interval
When the hours of engine operation equal the programmed service interval setting, the wrench icon (6) on the gauge will flash for 5 seconds each time the engine is started. When this feature is enabled, it provides a convenient reminder to perform routine maintenance.
The service interval is programmed at 50 hours at the factory. The service hours remaining will display in the information display area (3) of the rider information center. Change the engine oil and filter at the recommended service intervals.
To change the service interval, do the following:
1. Press the MODE button (3) until remaining service hours display.
2. Press and hold the MODE button.
3. When the service hours flash, press and release the MODE button to advance the hours to the desired setting (including OFF). Press and hold the MODE button to set the new service hour interval.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
More maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC