Note: The information in this article applies to model year 2015-2022 RANGER EV Mid-Size vehicles only.
Before servicing the batteries on your RANGER EV Mid-Size, the main power connector must be disconnected.
To service the batteries, follow these steps:
1. Start by tilting the cargo box.
2. Locate the power connector behind the seats.
3. To disconnect, lift on the tab and unplug the connector. Caution: Never service the batteries on your vehicle without first disconnecting the main power connector. Damage to electrical connections and components will occur if they are unplugged before the main power connector is disconnected. After servicing the vehicle, the main power connector should be the last connection to be made. Note: Additionally, unplug the 48V main power fuse located in the right front wheel well.
4. Lift up and remove the seats.
5. Remove the storage tray to access the batteries.
6. Inspect battery terminal connections monthly. Using an insulated wrench, torque terminal bolts to 8 ft-lbs (11 Nm). Caution: Use only insulated tools when working in the battery compartment.
7. Inspect the battery terminals and connections for any corrosion.
8. To remove corrosion, clean with a stiff wire brush.
9. Then wash with a solution of one tablespoon baking soda and one cup of water. Rinse well with tap water and dry off with clean shop towels. Caution: Do not allow cleaning solution or tap water to enter the batteries.
10. Coat battery terminals with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly.
Check Fluid Levels
Next, we’ll inspect the battery fluid levels. A poorly maintained battery will deteriorate rapidly. Ensure the fluid level is checked frequently.
To check the fluid levels, follow these steps:
1. Unlock the release tabs on the battery caps and remove the caps.
2. Using a clean funnel, fill the battery cells to 1/4 of an inch below the bottom of the fill well with clean distilled water. Do not overfill. Caution: Use only distilled water. Tap water contains minerals that are harmful to a battery. Notice: Distilled water should only be added to a battery after charging unless the battery plates are exposed before charging. If the plates are exposed, add water about 1/8 of an inch above the plates, and then charge. Inspect the fluid level again after charging and add as needed.
3. Reinstall the battery caps and secure the locking tabs.
4. Clean any residual water left on the batteries.
5. Reinstall the storage tray.
6. Reinstall the seats.
7. Reconnect the main power fuse and the main power connector. Notice: An audible click will be heard to indicate the connection has been made. Test the connection by gently pulling back on the connector.
8. Close and latch the cargo box.
To learn more about RANGER EV and other electric vehicles, listen to the It's Electric: Understanding RANGER EV, GEM and other Polaris Electric Vehicles episode of the Polaris Podcast.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google Inc.
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Inc.