VIDEO: RANGER 1000 and RANGER CREW 1000 Oil Change
When changing the oil on your Polaris RANGER 1000 or RANGER CREW 1000, always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves. Always check and change the oil at the intervals outlined in the Periodic Maintenance Chart in your Owner's Manual. The crankcase drain plug is located on the bottom of the crankcase. Access the drain plug from the bottom of the vehicle.
To change the oil and filter, do the following:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat level surface.
2. Place the vehicle in PARK.
3. Start the engine and allow it to warm up at idle for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Stop the engine.
5. Tilt the cargo bed to access the oil cap.
6. Clean any debris near the engine oil cap and remove the cap.
7. Clean the area around the oil drain plug.
8. Place a drain pan under the engine crankcase. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain pan to prevent the splashing of oil.
9. Using a 6mm Allen socket, remove the drain plug and allow the oil to drain completely. Caution: Hot oil can cause burns to skin. Do not allow hot oil to contact skin.
10. Using a 2.5-inch (64mm) oil filter wrench, turn the oil filter on the front of the engine counter-clockwise to remove it.
11. Using a clean dry cloth, clean the filter sealing surface on the engine crankcase.
12. Lubricate the O-ring on the new oil filter with a film of fresh engine oil. Check to make sure the O-ring is in good condition.
13. Install the new filter and rotate it clockwise by hand until the filter gasket contacts the sealing surface, and then turn it an additional 3/4 of a turn. The oil filter is part number 2540086. The filter is included in both oil change kits.
14. Replace the sealing washer on the drain plug. The sealing washer is part number 5812232. Notice: The sealing surfaces on the drain plug and crankcase should be clean and free of burrs, nicks or scratches.
15. Reinstall the engine oil drain plug. Torque to 12 ft-lbs (15 Nm).
16. Fill the engine with 2.5 quarts (2.4 liters) of engine oil.
17. Start the engine and allow it to idle for 1 to 2 minutes.
18. Stop the engine and inspect for leaks.
19. Wipe any residual oil off the vehicle.
20. Remove the dipstick and wipe with a clean shop towel.
21. Reinstall the dipstick fully and remove again to check the oil level. Add oil as needed to bring the level to the upper mark on the dipstick.
22. Lower the cargo box.
23. Dispose of the used filter and oil properly.
24. In addition to changing the engine oil, make sure to grease the propshaft and clean the spark arrestor.
25. Access the grease zerk on the propshaft through the driver’s rear wheel well.
26. To remove the spark arrestor, loosen the spark arrestor fastener and pull the spark arrestor out to clean.
27. Reinstall the spark arrestor and fastener. Torque to 7 ft-lbs (10 Nm).
Programmable Service Interval
The service interval counter on your RANGER decreases as engine operation hours increase. Change your engine oil and filter at the recommended service intervals.
To reset or change the service interval:
1. Press and hold the MODE button to enter the Options Menu. "OPTIONS" will display on the screen for 3 seconds before showing the first menu item.
2. Select "Service Hours" from the Options Menu by pressing the MODE button.
Reference the image shown above:
- (1) Press the MODE button.
- (2) Toggle the Up/Down buttons to change the units (0, 5, 10, -95, 100).
- (3) With the correct unit displayed, press the MODE button, which will set the unit and return you to the Options Menu.
To reset service hours after they have counted down to "0.0," reselect the existing setpoint or select a new service hour value.
3. To exit the Options Menu, select the Exit Menu function from the Options Menu; hold the MODE button and exit out of the Options Menu; or do not press any button for 10 seconds, which will exit out of the Options Menu.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
More maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.