Tools and Supplies Required:
- Oil Pan
- Torque Wrench
- 17mm Socket or Wrench
- 10mm Socket or Wrench
- 8mm Socket or Wrench
- 2.5-Inch (64mm) Oil Filter Wrench
- Shop Rags
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
When changing the oil on your Polaris RANGER 150, always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves. Always check and change the oil at the intervals outlined in the Periodic Maintenance Chart in your Owner's Manual. The crankcase drain plug is located on the bottom of the crankcase. Access the drain plug from the bottom of the vehicle. To change the oil and filter, do the following:
1. Position the vehicle on a level surface in a well-ventilated area. Set the parking brake.
2. Start the engine. Allow it to warm up at idle for 2 to 3 minutes, and then stop the engine.
3. Using 10mm and 8mm sockets or wrenches, remove the four nuts/bolts holding the lower chain guard in place. Remove the lower chain guard so it doesn’t collect oil as it drains.
4. Place a drain pan under the engine crankcase. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain pan to prevent splashing of oil. Caution: Hot oil can cause burns to skin. Do not allow hot oil to contact skin.
5. Using a 17mm socket or wrench, remove the pre-filter plug and pre-filter screen.
6. Allow the oil to drain completely.
7. Wash the oil pre-filter screen with solvent to remove debris. Allow the screen to air-dry.
8. The external oil filter is located behind the seat on the right-hand side of the rear swingarm. The screw-on filter should be replaced when the oil is changed. With the oil drained from the crankcase, unscrew the oil filter with the oil filter wrench and replace it with a new one. Ensure that the oil filter gasket is properly seated, lubricated with oil and in good condition. Do not over-tighten the oil filter. The oil filter for a RANGER 150 is part number 3023344.
9. Clean the pre-filter plug. Install a new sealing washer on the plug. The sealing surfaces on the drain plug and crankcase should be clean and free of burrs, nicks or scratches.
10. Reassemble the pre-filter screen and spring to the pre-filter plug.
11. Reinstall the pre-filter drain plug. Torque to 14 ft-lbs (19 Nm).
12. Reinstall the lower chain guard.
13. Remove the dipstick. Add 35.5 ounces (1,050 ml) of the recommended oil. Do not overfill. PS-4 Full Synthetic Oil is part number 2876244 for 1 quart (946 ml). PS-4 Extreme Duty Full Synthetic Oil is part number 2878920 for 1 quart (946 ml).
14. Reinstall the dipstick.
15. Start the engine. Allow it to idle for 1 to 2 minutes.
16. Stop the engine and inspect for leaks.
17. Check the oil level. Add oil as needed to bring the level to the upper mark on the dipstick.
18. Wipe up any residual oil that may have collected on vehicle components.
19. Dispose of the used filter and oil properly.
Programmable Service Interval
The service interval counter on your RANGER decreases as engine operation hours increase. Change your engine oil and filter at the recommended service intervals.
To reset or change the service interval:
1. Press and hold the MODE button to enter the Options Menu. "OPTIONS" will display on the screen for 3 seconds before showing the first menu item.
2. Select "Service Hours" from the Options Menu by pressing the MODE button.
Reference the image shown above:
- (1) Press the MODE button.
- (2) Toggle the Up/Down buttons to change the units (0, 5, 10, -95, 100).
- (3) With the correct unit displayed, press the MODE button, which will set the unit and return you to the Options Menu.
To reset service hours after they have counted down to "0.0," reselect the existing setpoint or select a new service hour value.
3. To exit the Options Menu, select the Exit Menu function from the Options Menu; hold the MODE button and exit out of the Options Menu; or do not press any button for 10 seconds, which will exit out of the Options Menu.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
More maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google Inc.
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.