Required Tools and Supplies:
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
- Dielectric Grease or Petroleum Jelly
- 10mm and 13mm Sockets
- Torque Wrench
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris GENERAL. To remove and install the battery on your GENERAL XP 1000 or GENERAL XP 4 1000, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Ensure the vehicle is in PARK.
3. Turn the key switch to the OFF position and remove the key.
4. Remove the driver’s seat by pulling up on the seat latch and pivoting forward.
5. Remove the battery access panel.
6. Using a 13mm socket, loosen the black negative battery cable fastener. Caution: The negative battery cable must be removed first to prevent arcing.
7. Then, using a 13mm socket, loosen the red positive battery cable fastener.
8. Using a 10mm socket, loosen the battery hold down bracket fastener.
9. Slide the battery and bracket toward the driver’s side of the vehicle and remove the bracket.
10. Then remove the battery.
11. If reinstalling the battery, ensure it is fully charged. Caution: Using a new battery that has not been fully charged can damage the battery, hinder vehicle performance and result in a shorter life. Follow the instructions in the Battery Charging section of your Owner’s Manual before installing the battery. The battery is part number 4014132-P. To purchase a new battery, see your authorized Polaris Dealer.
12. Ensure the battery is clean and free of debris. Refer to Battery Charging and Maintenance Tips for proper cleaning and maintenance techniques.
13. Reinstall the battery.
14. Install the battery hold down bracket. Torque the fastener to 3.5 ft-lb (5 Nm).
15. Install the red positive cable FIRST to prevent arcing. Torque to 40 in-lbs (5 Nm).
16. Install the black negative cable. Torque to 40 in-lbs (5 Nm).
17. Coat the battery terminals with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly.
18. Reinstall the positive cable protector boot.
19. Turn the key ON to verify the battery has been connected properly. Tip: When the battery is disconnected, the vehicle’s clock may need to be reset.
20. Reinstall the battery access panel.
21. Reinstall the seat by aligning the front retaining tabs and pushing down on the rear.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.