Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris RANGER XP 900 or RANGER CREW XP 900. The front gearcase fill plug (1) is located on the right side of the front gearcase. Access the fill plug through the right front wheel well. Maintain the fluid level even with the bottom of the fill plug hole. The drain plug (2) is on the bottom right-hand side of the front gearcase. Access the drain plug through the access hole in the frame underneath the front gearcase.
Always check and change the front gearcase demand drive fluid at the intervals outlined in the Periodic Maintenance Chart of your Owner's Manual.
On models with Active Descent Control, the front gearcase fluid should be changed every 25 hours if the ADC unit is exposed to extreme use. Extreme use includes any of the following:
- Operation in ADC mode for prolonged periods.
- Constant ADC operation on hilly or mountainous terrain.
- ADC is the primary mode of All-Wheel Drive operation.
To change the front gearcase fluid on your RANGER XP 900 or RANGER CREW XP 900, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Place the vehicle in PARK.
3. Place a drain pan underneath the front gearcase. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain pan to prevent the splashing of oil.
4. Clean the area around the fill plug in the right front wheel well.
5. Using an 8mm Allen socket, remove the front gearcase fill plug.
6. Clean the area around the drain plug.
7. Using an 8mm Allen socket, remove the drain plug and allow the oil to drain completely.
8. Clean any dirt or debris from the fill and drain plugs.
9. Inspect the O-rings on both plugs and replace if necessary.
10. Reinstall the drain plug. Torque to 11 ft-lbs (15 Nm).
11. Using a fluid filler, fill the gearcase through the fill plug hole until oil reaches the bottom threads and begins to spill out. The fluid capacity of the front gearcase is 9.3 ounces (275 milliliters). Demand Drive Fluid is part number 2877922 for 1 quart (946 ml).
12. Reinstall the gearcase fill plug. Torque to 8 to 10 ft-lbs (11-14 Nm).
13. Clean any residual oil off of the vehicle and inspect for leaks.
14. Dispose of the used oil properly.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.