Required Tools and Supplies:
- Shop Rags
- 8mm and 10mm Sockets
- Measurement Tool
- Chain Lube
- 12mm and 19mm Sockets
- 18mm Wrench
- Torque Wrench
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris RANGER. To lubricate and adjust the drive chain your RANGER 150, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface and set the parking brake.
2. Loosen the upper nut on the chain tensioner bracket with a 19mm socket.
3. Also loosen the front engine mount fastener with a 12mm socket to prevent the chain from binding during adjustment.
4. Then remove the drive chain cover fasteners with an 8mm socket and 10mm socket. Carefully remove the cover.
5. Press down on the middle of the chain and measure the deflection. A new chain will stretch after the vehicle is used for a period of time. The deflection on a new chain should be 3/16 to 13/32 of an inch (5 to 10 mm). On a broken-in chain, the deflection should be 13/32 to 19/32 of an inch (10 to 15 mm).
6. To adjust, turn the lower nut clockwise in half-turn increments with an 18mm wrench.
7. Then tighten the upper nut until tight and recheck the deflection. Do not torque at this time.
8. Follow this procedure until the chain has proper deflection. Operating the vehicle with improper rear drive chain deflection can result in severe damage to the transmission and drive components.
9. Lubricate the drive chain with Polaris chain spray lube (part number 2872348) or an approved chain lube and use care to avoid spraying on the brakes. Do not use a high-pressure washer or gasoline to clean the drive chain.
10. Reinstall the drive chain cover and tighten the fasteners until fully seated.
11. Torque the engine mounting bolt to 37 ft-lbs (50 Nm). If needed, counter-hold the nut on the other end of the bolt.
12. Finish by torquing the upper chain tensioner bracket nut to 45 ft-lbs (61 Nm).
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.