Always clean all dirt and debris away from the airbox before servicing the air filter on your Polaris RANGER. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing the air filter. To clean or replace the air filter on your RANGER 500, follow these steps:
1. Place the transmission in park.
2. Raise the cargo bed.
3. Clean all dirt and debris away from the airbox area.
4. Remove the two clips holding the airbox cover.
5. Inspect the seal between the cover and airbox. Replace if necessary. The seal is part number 5814106.
6. Loosen the worm gear clamp using a 6mm socket.
7. Remove the filter and inspect it. Notice: If the filter has been soaked with fuel or oil, it must be replaced. Do not attempt to clean the air filter. The air filter for your RANGER 500 is part number 7082037.
8. Wipe down the airbox. Notice: Dirt or debris in the intake tube/intake boot could result in severe engine damage. Always clean all dirt and debris from the intake before installing the filter.
9. Reinstall the filter if clean or install a new filter. Make sure the filter is fully seated on the intake boot and there is no gap between the filter and boot after installation. Notice: Use of a non-Polaris-approved air filter may cause engine damage. Always use a Polaris-approved replacement filter. Replacement filters are available at your Polaris Dealer. In dusty conditions, air filter replacement will be required more often.
10. Tighten the worm gear clamp. Torque to 35 in-lbs (4 Nm).
11. Install the airbox cover. Ensure both hinges are fully inserted and secure the cover clips.
12. Lower the cargo bed.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you through the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.