Required Tools and Supplies:
- Shop Rags
- Dielectric Grease or Petroleum Jelly
- Torque Wrench
- 10mm Socket
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris RANGER. To remove and install the battery on your RANGER 1000 and RANGER CREW 1000, follow these steps:
1. Ensure the vehicle is on a flat level surface.
2. Place the vehicle in park.
3. Turn the key switch OFF and remove the key.
4. Pull up on the rear of the passenger seat and lift up to remove from the vehicle.
5. Remove the storage bin under the seat.
6. Using a 10mm socket, loosen the black negative battery cable fastener. Remove the cable and set aside. Caution: The negative battery cable must be removed first to prevent arcing.
7. Then, loosen the red positive battery cable fastener with the 10mm socket. Remove the cable and set aside.
8. Using the 10mm socket, remove the fastener securing the battery hold down clamp.
9. Push the hold down clamp toward the rear of the vehicle to release and lift straight out of the vehicle to remove.
10. Lift the battery straight up to remove from the vehicle.
11. If reinstalling the battery, ensure it is fully charged. Caution: Using a new battery that has not been fully charged can damage the battery and result in a shorter life. It can also hinder vehicle performance. Follow the instructions in the Battery Charging section of the Owner’s Manual before installing the battery. The battery is part number 4014132.
12. Ensure the battery is clean and free of debris. Refer to the battery maintenance video for proper cleaning and maintenance techniques.
13. Reinstall the battery straight down into the vehicle.
14. Install the hold down clamp over the battery and slide toward the front of the vehicle to secure in the vehicle frame.
15. Install the fastener to secure the battery hold down clamp. Torque to 6 ft-lbs (8 Nm).
16. Coat the battery terminals with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly.
17. Install the red positive cable first to prevent arcing. Torque to 40 in-lbs (5 Nm).
18. Reinstall the positive cable protector boot.
19. Install the black negative cable second. Torque to 40 in-lbs (5 Nm).
20. Verify the battery cables are tightened securely.
21. Turn the key ON to verify the battery has been connected properly. Tip: When the battery is disconnected, the vehicle’s clock may need to be reset.
22. Install the storage bin under the passenger seat.
23. Engage the passenger seat in the seat brackets and rotate until engaged in the seat grommet.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.