Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris RANGER. To remove and install the battery on your RANGER XP 1000 NorthStar Edition or RANGER CREW XP 1000 NorthStar Edition, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle is on a flat, level surface.
2. Ensure the vehicle is in PARK.
3. Turn the key switch to the OFF position and remove the key.
4. Flip up the passenger seat and remove the battery cover.
5. Using a 10mm socket, loosen the black negative battery cable clamp. Set the cable aside. Caution: The negative battery cable must be removed first to prevent arcing.
6. Then, using a 10mm socket, loosen the red positive battery cable clamp. Set the cable aside.
7. Remove the battery bracket fastener with a 10mm socket.
8. Slide the battery and bracket rearward and remove the bracket.
9. Then lift the battery out of the vehicle.
10. If reinstalling the battery, ensure it is fully charged. Caution: Using a new battery that has not been fully charged can damage the battery, hinder vehicle performance and result in a shorter life. Follow the instructions in the Battery Charging section of the Owner’s Manual before installing the battery. The battery is part number 4014132-P.
11. Ensure the battery is clean and free of debris. Refer to Battery Charging and Maintenance Tips for proper cleaning and maintenance techniques.
12. Reinstall the battery and ensure it is pushed all the way back.
13. Install the battery bracket and fastener. Torque the fastener to 42 in-lbs (5 Nm).
14. Install the positive cable FIRST to prevent arcing. Torque to 40 in-lbs (5 Nm).
15. Reinstall the positive cable protector boot.
16. Install the negative cable. Torque to 40 in-lbs (5 Nm).
17. Verify the cables are properly secured.
18. Coat the battery terminals with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly.
19. Turn the key ON to verify the battery has been connected properly. Tip: When the battery is disconnected, the vehicle’s clock may need to be reset.
20. Reinstall the battery cover and flip down the passenger seat.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.